Wednesday, February 08, 2006

UPdate

So far I've gotten around 32 responses (that's quite a bit considering I only had it for a few days). Some of the answers were pretty funny, but some people were really serious, and the response that I'm getting from this project is surprising to me....

Sample Response:
1. What is one thing you had to do when you were growing up that no other kid on the block had to do? Being the youngest in the family, I was always nourished and protected by my family. Because of this, this may be one of the main reasons to my shyness. I remember way back when it was time for me to attend kindergarden. I had to open myself up from the 4 wall home barrier and attend school where asians was a minority. It was fearful at first, because not only did I have to go to school with no familar faces, but I was also stuck taking a school bus myself for the first time. The first few times were intimidating and scary, but after I met friends and began picking up the language, I managed to overcome my fear and also became best friends with some of the kids around my block. 2. Name a reason why you're proud to be CBC. I am proud to be a CBC because I love living in Canada. Canada is a multicultural place full of cultural diversity. I feel honoured to be part of it. 3. Do you consider yourself Chinese or Canadian? Why? I consider myself Canadian because over 2/3rds of my life, I've been living in Canada. I drink the water, breath the air and have set foot on the foundations there. Hong Kong is my root, but Canada is the place I call " home sweet home."4. Do you speak or write Chinese? I can speak Cantonese, but I can't really read or write it.

----------------------
As for my art project I'm not really sure what it is that I want to do for SURE yet, but I have some ideas. The materials that I will use to base the responses upon will have to be one that is respectable, unique to Chinese Canadians, not discriminative, self-explanatory and easy to use. It needs to reflect the responses that I receive, and most of them have funny responses about having to take leftovers from dinner for lunch when they were in elementary school and high school. It wasn't the greatest experience since nobody likes to smell Chinese food, and hence even though we know that we physically look different we now are being looked as an outsider even from the food that we eat.

I'll show you guys what I mean when I do it-
I'm also thinking about doing something with Chinese School paper (funny-looking thin pieces of paper with checker boxes on them).

Wyns

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home